Saturday, June 6, 2015

letting go

I've been doing a lot of soul searching in the last couple of weeks, and have probably written at least four or five posts in my head. However, I just kept changing my mind and honestly trying to decide if blogging was the best outlet for me these days. Obviously, I decided to work it out in words here rather than in my jumbled brain.

I have a hard time letting go. Of things, people, situations, etc. So, I hang on to them so that I can revisit when I can't sleep or I get too lonely. It's not healthy. I began a couple of weeks ago to ask God to help me let some things go. I need to look forward instead of backwards and enjoy the life I'm in. I'm still not there yet, but the Lord did reveal to me yesterday that all of the things I obsess about have made me the person I am today. And that's true. Furthermore, I like the person I am.

I am much better than I was a year ago, five years ago, certainly 25 years ago when I married. I've been through a lot, there's always been drama whether of my own making or not, its always played a part in my life. I. hate. drama. HATE IT! I won't go into details, that would take forever, but between the tumultuous relationship with my mother to the constant moving and trying to be everything to everyone in addition to always giving up my career,it just seems like life has not been peaceful.

This is not to say that there haven't been good times....great times, even. It just is what it is.
Today, I choose to let go of those negative thoughts, people, and experiences that have plagued me for so long. I'm giving up on my dream to again work in a school setting, it's too dangerous at this point for my health and I'm tired of jumping through the hoops that each state puts in place. I'm letting go of trying to control the future of my children....for this, I should receive thanks! haha  They each have to do what they feel is right for themselves, and make their own mistakes. Other things, I let go of a long time ago and realized that lessons had to be learned.

I'm ready to live a life that makes me happy and is also pleasing to God (because ultimately that will make me happy!). I no longer choose to worry about what others think, or say, or do. They don't control me, and quite frankly won't stand beside me when tough things happen. There is no room in my world for negativity. I don't want to hear it, and I want to stop living it.

We all have so much to live for and to be thankful for. I could do a whole post on things I'm thankful for, and I will. But today, I have rambled enough. This post may not make sense to you, and that's okay. It's my blog and I'll ramble if I want to!

1 comment:

  1. Good blog Patty, it is hard to let go of the past. I can't change what was, only what will be. It almost broke my heart when April moved to Japan, but she is so happy, probably the happiest she has ever been, so it was the right decision.

    ReplyDelete